Monday, February 11, 2013

present.

I think I write to keep my sanity.
To make sure that the words floating around in my head are actually real.
I write because if I don't... 
then I'm really just talking to myself.

Sometime's my brain moves faster than my fingers type and I end up with thoughts like....
"today I went out to get Boo my dog sitting on the chair next to me."
Oh wait, I just got distracted with Boo on the chair.
Distracted.
story. of. my. life.

Over the past couple of months I've really struggle with D I S T R A C T I O N.
Anything and everything.
Mostly....my beloved iPhone.
I know, I know...another lecture about iPhones.
But really, it's just getting worse.

I've begun to catch iPhones (or phones in general) in the back of pictures.
I see a photo on instagram that a dad took of his cute toddler son, and in the background I see a mom sitting in the rocking chair glaring down at her phone.
And I think to myself....
Does anyone actually care what the boy is doing or are they just wanting a cute photo to share?
Then I see another picture of a what looks like a couple on a date.
But then I think about the man taking the photo and the woman across from him checking her phone as he snaps a quick shot.
Have they even spoken more than 5 words to each other?

We are no longer present beings.
(Don't worry, I'm just as guilty.)
We go to a party and all I see are people on their phones.
We go to church and some man in front of me is catching the latest sports stats.
I sit down to have a conversation at lunch and everyone has their phone on the table.
If I have to wait in line for just 2 minutes, I find myself pulling my phone out to stay busy.
When I get caught in the elevator at work, I check my phone so I don't have to stand there in awkward silence.

I lay in bed at night refreshing every social media app I have,
waiting for something different to come up until I'm bored enough to fall asleep.

I am tired of the attachment.
I am tired of Dylan having to tell me to put my phone away.
I am tired of competing for someone's attention because they wish they were somewhere else.

We're so fascinated with what everyone else is doing that we miss out on our own lives.
And I guess I am mainly talking about myself.
(Ironic considering how this post all began.)

So this lent season I encourage you to put the phone, computer, iPad
or whatever it is you have, down.
Spend time with those around you.
Be present.
Share moments.
Build relationship.








4 comments:

  1. Ugh...what's sad is that I wished I could have hit the "like" button for this post to realize there was none. This really resonated with me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We're so fascinated with what everyone else is doing that we miss out on our own lives."
    -AMEN, SISTER. (seriously, amen.)

    ReplyDelete